Point Calimere Wildlife & Bird Sanctuary is the only site in Tamil Nadu to be declared as a Ramsar Site on 19th August 2002 and has been designated as Ramsar Site No. 1210. It is located along the Palk Strait covering Nagapattinam, Tiruvarur and Thanjavur with an area of 38,500 Ha.
Details of Ramsar Site
|S.No.||Name of the Area||Area (Ha)|
|1.||Point Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary||2147|
|4.||Unsurveyed Salt swamp||15120|
|5.||Thalainayar Reserved Forest||1236|
The Central Zoo Authority of India recognizes Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Vandalur, Chennai; Children's Park, Guindy, Chennai; Amirthi Zoo, Vellore; Kurumbapatti Zoological Park, Salem and Tiruchirappalli Zoo. Tamil Nadu Forest Department envisages:
- Conservation of rare, endangered and threatened species through captive breeding programmes.
- To create awareness for conservation support through outreach and education
- To scale up veterinary research for providing solutions for wildlife health and upkeep.
- To create a network of all Zoological and Butterfly Parks in the State for exchange of good practices.
- To seek Public Support for adoption of wild animals in captivity.
- To provide highest standard of veterinary care to all the animals in captivity and in the Rescue Centres.
Total Visitors - from 01 - 04 - 2017 / Last Update On 29 - 05 - 2018